Thursday, October 15, 2009

A Fortunate Accident

It's weird to think of where I am going to end up. What job will I have? Where will I live? Who will I meet? It's weird to think about but it kind of seems like everything in life just falls into place. Take for example my major, Graphic Design. I had always loved drawing, being creative, and learning more about art. Although when I was in Middle School and we had to write an autobiography about our lives, one of the questions were "what do you want to be when you grow up?" I knew I liked art and wanted to do something with that but what? It would be extremely hard to be a professional artist but what kind of career would I be able to find that would also support my personal life? Speaking of which, I think it's crazy that schools try to make you think about what career you're going to have at such a young age. Aren't you supposed to enjoy your childhood while you can? Anyways, that was off the subject, as I was saying I was trying to find some type of career that could still give me a reasonable amount of money for life. I didn't really think about it until High School and the pressure of figuring out what you're going to be really started to happen. I kind of gave up thinking that I was going to find a job that would support my creative needs and life needs. I was even considering having a Marketing major which would be good financially but definitely not something I would want to do for the rest of my life. That's how funny life is, I joined classes for Marketing including Marketing Management, Accounting, and Internship and that is how I realized that I wanted to become a Graphic Designer. I was really hesitant going into my Internship class, in fact, I was kind of forced into it. I didn't enjoy Marketing or Accounting so why would I like Internship? We were trying to figure out what company we should Intern for and I couldn't think of anything. My teacher was a great help, she realized that I loved art yet so suggested I look into Graphic Design. It's sad but I really didn't think Graphic Design was for me when I first thought about it but I couldn't think of anything else so I just decided to just to see what would happen. I ended up going to a company called The Idea Center and interned under a woman named Beth. It turned out to be one of the greatest experiences in my life. It turns out it was everything that I wanted in life. Graphic Design gives me the creative aspect of my life incorporated into a financially stable job setting. I have started to take classes for this and am extremely happy with my little stumble into the career. It's funny how life works out like that. I've never really been a believer in the little saying "everything happens for a reason" but I'm thinking it may be true.

That reminds me of the movie Serendipity (amazing movie). The whole quote that the movie goes off of is "a fortunate accident." It's weird to think about destiny and fate, I can't tell if I really believe that kind of stuff or not..

On another note, I have a feeling I am going to be very miserable this winter. Ever since I have gotten my license, I have had a garage to put my car in. Now that I'm living on my own I do not. So the other morning when we had our little portion of snow come our way, there was a nice layer of frost on my windshield. Not only will the car thing not be pleasant but also our landowner deducted $50 for our rent a month if we took up on lawn care. So we have to mow the law, trim the bushes, and now since the snow is coming shovel the sidewalks. I didn't realize how much of a hassle shoveling is going to be now that it seems to be coming in the near future. Especially because we will have to shovel not only our little sidewalk but also our "duplex-roommates" sidewalks. That should be very interesting.

Well, that's all for now. Until next time,
Kendell

"Not all who wander get lost."


No comments:

Post a Comment